Candidates who have applied for CAT 2016 must be aware of the syllabus before they start preparing for the exam.
Being familiar with the CAT 2016 syllabus helps you plan accordingly with a proper strategy. Hence you can prepare smartly. It is helpful in fetching good percentile.
TheCAT syllabus has covered three sections under it. The whole question paper is prepared from these three sections.
The topics and sub topics which come under CAT syllabusis mentioned below section wise in detail. Candidates must go through it:
- Quantitative aptitude:
This is the first section under CAT syllabus. This section helps in testing the basic level of candidate’s mind. Topics covered under this are:
- Arithmetic: it has certain sub topics covered under it. They are:
- Number system
- Ratio and proportion
- Age calculation
- Time and work
- Algebra:it has certain sub topics covered under it. They are:
- Theory of equations
- Quadratic equations
- Permutation and combination
- Sequence and series
- Geometry:it has certain sub topics covered under it. They are:
- Mensuration:it mainly deals with calculating the areas and volumes of following shapes:
- Calculus: the sub topics covered under this topic are:
- Maxima and minima
- Trigonometry:it has certain sub topics covered under it. They are:
- Trigonometric ratios
Candidates can refer to below mentioned books for excelling in this quantitative aptitudesection of CAT syllabus:
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT by ArunSharma, Publisher- Tata Mcgraw Hill.
- Pearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation for CAT by NishitSinha, Publisher-Pearson.
- Quantum CAT: Quantitative Aptitude Common Admission Test for Admission into IIMs by SarveshKVerma, Publisher-Arihant
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examination Tips, Techniques, and Short-cut Methods by AbhijitGuha.
- NCERT Mathematics books for class 8th, 9th, 10th and 10+2.
- Data interpretation and logical reasoning: this is the second section for CAT syllabus. It deals with candidates’ skills in basic mathematics.
It has two sub parts. Data interpretation is the first part and logical reasoning being the other.
Topics covered under data interpretation are:
- Bar graph
- Line chart
- Pie chart
- Combination of graphs
- Data sufficiency
Topics covered under logical reasoning are:
- Seating arrangement
- Blood relations
- Venn diagram
- Data arrangement
- Clocks and Calenders
Candidates can refer to below mentioned books for preparing this section of CAT syllabus:
- PearsonGuide to Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning for CAT by NishitSinha, Publisher-Pearson.
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT by ArunSharma, Publisher- Tata Mcgraw Hill.
- How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for the CAT by ArunSharma, Publisher- Tata Mcgraw Hill.
- Verbal and reading comprehension: this is the third and last section covered under CAT Syllabus. It mainly determines the communication and language skills of the candidate. The topics which comes under this section are:
- Sentence correction
- Usage of words
- Fill in the blanks
- Para jumble
- Para completion
- Fact inference judgment
Candidates preparing for this section of CAT syllabuscan refer the following books for help:
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension by AjaySingh, Publisher – Arihant.
- 3o Days to More Powerful Vocabulary by WilfredFunk&NormanLewis, Publisher-Simon& Schuster.
- Wren and MartinEnglish Grammar
- Business English and Communication by ClarkZimmer, Publisher- Mcgraw Hill Ryerson.